Grumpy Ol' Fred wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jul 2018, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> I'd almost forgotten about that old chestnut.  Fortunately, Snopes
> remembers:
> https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bewaring-of-the-green/

But, what about using a gold USB cable?

Only if it is pure gold.  None of this plated nonsense.

Surely the quality of the power filtration must make a difference.

Well, if we are talking audio, maybe there would be a hum if it is not
filtered right.

However, my one time boss once told me that he had a friend who was an
audio nut who swore the sound from his amplifier was better when he
swapped the live and neutral wires in the mains plug...

And, what about the SOURCE of the power? Wouldn't discs be more reliable if the drive is driven by solar power, rather than nuclear?

Surely rotating discs have to perform better when driven by power that comes
from a rotating machine, unless someone has been stupid enough to have the
discs rotate in the opposite direction to the power generator...

Vibrations are an obvious culprit. That can be easily proven by beating on drums on the table where the drive is. The burning should be done in an acoustically sealed environment.

Or the drumming should be done in an oxygen free, airtight environment.
(There may be a brief period of instability at the beginning but things
should quickly settle down.)

Light leakage mmust also affect it. All burning should be done in total darkness, although some claim that a #10 safelight should be OK.

If you can't see the disc turning, how can you know it has been burnt!

:-)

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.