I find it enjoyable to disassemble the drives that I want to dispose of. I take all of the metal bits and throw them in my scrap metal recycling bin. I throw the boards in my electronics/e-waste recycling bin. I used to keep the magnets, but I have a pretty good magnet collection now and, with newer drives, it is too much work to remove the magnets from the parts they are bonded to.

alan