> On Oct 23, 2018, at 11:12 AM, Jim Manley <jim.man...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 3:59 PM Guy Sotomayor Jr <g...@shiresoft.com
> <mailto:g...@shiresoft.com>> wrote:
> An (optional) X server (and clients) can be added to the OS (I use them all
> the time) but
> is not part of the base install ...
>
> Wrong.  Apple has been using self-customized, optimized-for their-hardware
> supersets of the VNC protocol (which is X based) for Screen Sharing since
> early versions of OS X, if not from the beginning, and It's (still) In There
> (per Prego spaghetti sauce ads) in the latest versions of OS X.  I do have
> some first-gen PowerPC systems that I need to see if they power up (ironic
> name, PowerPC!), let alone boot, and then I'll have to find original OS X
> boot media ... some of us have actual lives, though, so don't hold your
> breath!

That’s distinct from the X server and apps that are available as a separate
download (and I believe that now they point to Xorg).

> BTW, the X server on OS X, interfaces not to the bit-map but instead to the
> native OS X display rendering framework.
>
> That's not possible, at least when communicating cross-platform, where
> bitmaps are the only representation.  Projects such as Wayland and Weston are
> attempting to provide a modern alternative to X that fully supports vector
> representations (using GPU hardware acceleration), through a protocol and
> supporting library for a compositing window manager (Wayland) and a
> compositor reference implementation (Weston).  XWayland implements a
> compatibility layer to seamlessly run legacy X11 applications on Wayland.  A
> few years ago, the Raspberry Pi Foundation was funding this effort, in part,
> but it was too soon then, and I don't know what the statuses of the projects
> are, at this point, although instructions for building the software for Linux
> are Out There.  Support for Retina and HiDPI displays is mentioned, but I
> didn't see anything explicitly about OS X or Windows support in a cursory
> scan of the associated wikis - I assume they're talking about running
> Wayland/Weston on Linux using Apple and PC hardware.  GNOME and KDE are fully
> supported, since that's where development started.

*sigh*

Yes, it is.  Just as there exist X implementations that use the GPU to
accelerate rendering.  It says *nothing* about the cross platform protocol.
It’s how the X server communicates with the rendering hardware or in OS X’s
case the software interface to do the rendering.  As far as OS X is concerned,
X is just another OS X application that wants to render to the screen.  I use
it all the time and it works well along side the normal OS X applications which
wouldn’t be possible if the X server wrote directly to the HW.

TTFN - Guy