> On Dec 7, 2018, at 2:06 PM, Ethan via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>> On a recent Reddit thread someone claimed that old PC monitors
>> and tube TVs are rising in popularity and price due to retro gamers.
>> Is this true?
>
> SOME TVs. Not every TV. The gamers want the pro broadcast video monitors that
> have RGB inputs. Sony PVM and the like. Search ebay for Sony PVM RGB and you
> will see some.
>
> Digital TVs usually have to buffer a frame before displaying it so displayed
> images are one frame behind (or more.) Old games were authored for their look
> on a CRT, so on LCDs you can see compression color artifacts and whatever
> else.

I know digital TV is compressed, but I didn't think that the video link from
the TV machinery to the display is compressed.  That's HDMI, which is a
derivative of DVI, which is an uncompressed pixel stream.  Or am I confused?
You don't get compression artifacts when displaying computer displays on an LCD
panel.

Does a plain LCD panel have delay?  If not, what about a TV used as a monitor?
My new 4k TV can display HDMI from my laptop.  But it offers to do image
processing on it, which I turned off because I don't want my display messed
with.  That suggests it might be doing buffering in order to have a chance to
do that manipulation.