I understand your frustration, because all I really wanted to do was read/write RX33 and RX50 5-1/4" floppies to move data in and out of my microPDP11.  Once, I wanted to write an RX23 3-1/2" floppy with OpenVMS PAK files that could be read on an DEC Alpha.

Finding a PC that supports the 5-1/4" floppy drive is difficult, the BIOS or FDC chips only support 3-1/2" floppies in many late model PC's.  It appeared only a few of the older PC's that supported the 5-1/4" drives could actually change the spindle speed so you could read/write RX50 format.

I dedicated a DELL XPS 233H to this task, 32MB memory, Pentium II cpu.  Boots from 3GB hard disk, DOS and Win 3.1 (if you so need it).  I also have an IDE to CF card adapter standing by when the hard disk dies.  Love to have something with a smaller form factor, but it gets the job done.

Doug