On 08/11/2019 10:40 AM, Nigel Johnson via cctalk wrote:
It's funny how licensing bodies do not recognise computer engineers. I am a member if the IEEE, but since I first wrote to the local body in 1974 they have never recognised computer engineering as a discipline. After twenty years of chip-level troubleshooting on DEC machines I spent twenty twenty-five years teaching college before retiring to my soon-to-be-restored collection of old kit.

I ran into the then President of the provincial licensing association at an alumni event a few years ago and he laughed, saying they are still working on it!

Well, "computer engineering" isn't well-defined. For EE, you can write loop and node equations and solve, and determine exactly how an electrical network will behave.

They are trying to make systems that can analyze computer programs in the same way, but I think we are pretty far from that level of rigor.

Jon