11/40’s were pretty ubiquitous at CMU when I was there and at least as far as I
could tell, were all configured pretty much the same (in that they all had
custom writable control store).  I personally dealt with 3 different sets of
11/40s:
A single 11/40 with WCS that I used for doing some image processing work
2 11/40’s tied together with a prototype of C.MMP’s cross point switch
C.MMP (16-way PDP11…I saw it running with 4 11/20s and 12 11/40s).  At the end
the 11/20s were removed and just the 11/40s remained.

There were only 2 11/45s that I knew of.  The first was the “front end” that
sat in front of all of the terminals and allowed connection to the various 10s
(at the time there were 3: 2 KA10s and a KL10), C.MMP and CM*.  The other 11/45
ran the XGP (Xerox Graphics Printer)…granddaddy of laser printers so that we
could get “high quality” output (versus line printer).

TTFN - Guy