On 09/18/2019 09:23 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
Please don't let anybody call the 25 pair 50-pin miniature ribbon
connector (RJ21),  "Centronics"!

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
We used to call them "blue ribbon" connectors. I'm sure that that's
also a misnomer.

I still believe that that is the correct name.
I've always assumed that that was Amphenol's name for that line of connector when they invented it. I also assumed that "blue ribbon" was a reference to the blue first-prize ribbons at county fair type contests.

Although a friend claimed that that name was unintentional, since instead of pins, it uses "ribbon contacts", hence also "micro ribbon connector". and many of them had a BLUE plastic center section.

The original Amphenol connector was about 3 X the contact spacing of the micro-blue ribbon connector, but basically the same design. They used Diallyl pthalate insulators. I don't know if these are just always dyed blue, or the chemical makeup makes them blue, but it is a deep blue color. So, that's where the blue in the name comes from. The contacts are punched out of a ribbon of gold-plated beryllium copper, so that's where the ribbon in the name comes from.

Jon