On 09/19/2019 09:27 PM, Ethan O'Toole via cctalk wrote:

A number of years ago I picked up a Lucent Merlin Legend system. It was around 1999, and Lucent wouldn't certify the system for "y2k" so this business switched over to a Nortel in a giant middle finger to lucent.

About 30 years ago, I had a KTU 1A2 phone system in my house. I was trying to add an intercom/paging system to it when I was able to buy an NEC Electra 8/16 phone system. I ran that for 25 years or so, and finally the thing just died. It did paging, intercom, and general PBX functionality for the two lines we had.

I now have an Asterisk PBX system with 4 Snom 300 VOIP phones. It does way more than the NEC Electra, but it is more complicated to use. I STILL haven't gotten used to transferring a call to another extension or paging. But, it does offer distinctive ring, auto-answer with message recording, and taking FAXes.

Jon