On 04/05/2020 03:32 PM, Pete Turnbull via cctalk wrote:
A few hours ago I started looking at three "smart" light switches that need LEDs replaced, and switched on the soldering iron, and ... nope. It's a Weller WP80 and it seems the sensor in the heating element has died. I discovered that only after resetting and then dismantling the control unit to check it out with a DVM, of course.

Clearly I need either a new WP80 element, or a new soldering iron. I could get a WSP80 for far less than the cost of a new element for the WP80, but I'd get the element faster. So which, if any, is the better iron? What would you guys do?

I begrudge paying UKP 92 for a new element. That's the cheapest I could find -- /half/ the most expensive price -- but just seems ludicrously extortionate for what amounts to a piece of swaged stainless steel tube with a short length of resistance wire and an even shorter length of thermocouple wire inside it. I could buy a whole new solder station with more bells and whistles, albeit of a "lesser brand", for less.

Is the sensor a separate component? On the EC1302 and several other models, the sensor is a separate piece that fits up through the center of the heater and poked into the back of the replaceable tip. I got one for that iron years ago from, I think, Newark. So, you might try
at Farnell and see if they have spares.

Jon