Later it offered the C128, which had multiple operating modes,
including a much better BASIC and an 80-column display, but also an
entire incompatible 2nd processor -- a Z80 so it could run CP/M. This
being the successor model to the early-'80s home  computer used by
millions of children to play video games. They really did not want,
need or care about _CP/M_ of all things.