I confirmed the bad one by removing the piggyback and the failure returned. Now I need to desolder the bad one without ruining the board. I may just cut the leads off close to the bad chip, and solder the replacement to the stumps. (Normally I remove the legs and install a machine-pin DIP socket). Or just solder the piggyback and leave it there... thoughts?

Cut the leads close to the body. Apply a soldering iron to each lead, and pull the lead out with tweezers, simultaneously heating and pulling. This is very gentle to the board, just doing one at a time. Then, you can vacuum out the holes and install a new chip or socket.

I've done this many times, and never wrecked a board.

Jon