Probably read about this machine in Byte back then but was programming PDP-11's. Was very disappointed in IBM PC as IMO was far inferior to PDP-11 which was was easier to interface to data acquisition hardware and had a much nicer instruction set. Ran into 68000 processor for first time in 1986 when my father bought a 512 K Mac and couldn't believe performance of this CPU compared to PDP-11 - 24 bit addressing! and inferior memory access to what Sage had. Also, found 68000 instruction set very similar to PDP-11 and had no trouble writing assembly code for it a few years later and also really liked Apple's debug switch which was best implementation of a debugging system I've thus far run into. Weird that Rod Coleman had 68000 instruction set associated with IBM 370 whereas to me it was very PDP-11 like and 24 bit addressing was a very nice feature (that was one similarity to IBM 360)

Other interesting aspect to SAGE history was the influence of September 1966 issue of Scientific American computer issue on Rod Coleman and lots of other people I've talked to. Was so glad that had this issue to read in 1966 and spent most of my time in boring school classes designing logic circuits and then building them at home using discrete DTL logic with parts salvaged from surplus IBM boards.

Thanks for the link as didn't realize 68000 was used for home systems before I ran into Mac.

This may be old news -- it was new to me, though.

https://suddendisruption.blogspot.com/search/label/Booting%20Sage%20Computer

I'm not really familiar with SAGE machines. They were not as
well-known in the UK, I think, being upmarket from the Apple ][ and
IBM PC, both of which were eye-wateringly expensive by UK standards of
the time.

Also, they were terminal-based things and even back then I was
interested in boxes with graphics. :-)

--
Liam Proven ­ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ­ gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lpro...@gmail.com