On 2/21/22 21:14, Jay Jaeger via cctalk wrote:
On 2/21/2022 6:55 PM, Glen Slick via cctalk wrote:
On Mon, Feb 21, 2022, 4:32 PM Rod Smallwood via cctalk <
cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

Hi

    I have built an 11/83 in a BA23 box.

    It has a KDJ-11B, 2mB PMI memory, an RQDX3 with an RX50 attached,

Plus a CMD CQD 220A Disk controller with a digital RH18A 2Gig SCSI drive
attached.

Diag sees drive as RA82.

It boots and runs the diag disk and XXDP+ just fine.

I do not have install distributions for any of the 11/83 operating systems.

Daily driver system is a Windows 10 PC.

So how do I install an operating system?

Suggestions please.

Thanks

Rod

Is the PC old enough to still have PCI slots? If it is, one option would be to pick up a cheap PCI SCSI controller, e.g. an AHA-2940, that you can use
to write disk images to a SCSI hard drive. Then use SIMH to create disk
images of an OS of interest that can then be dumped to the SCSI hard drive. Or pick up a SCSI2SD device to use with the CMD CQD-220A instead of a SCSI
disk drive. Then copy disk images created using SIMH on the PC to an SD
card.

Is the CQD-220A a /TM version, or an /E version? If it's a /TM version you
could also pick up a cheap SCSI tape drive, and create installation tapes
for RSTS/E or 2.11BSD and boot from those to install on a SCSI hard drive.
I've done that a few times just for the heck of installing from tape. If
you have the /E version (or /T/M version) instead of the /TM version you
can do either MSCP or TMSCP,  but not both at the same time.

For RT-11, that is small enough it wouldn't be difficult to install from
RX-50 disks, if you had a means to create disks from images.

Another alternative would be, after installing an OS under SimH using another program as was suggested here, to transfer the disk image (e.g. vtserver  https://github.com/chapmajs/vtserver ).

It would be slow (but no slower than the above suggestion. :-).  I am
pretty sure there was a tape image available for installing 2.11 using
VTServer.  I even think I did it once or twice.  Haven't had a real
PDP-11 up for a while but I used to have fully patched versions running
on an 11/23, and 11/73 and an 11/93.  Just wish I could get some PMI
memory for that 93.

bill