On 9/23/22 09:09, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

On Sep 22, 2022, at 10:44 PM, Tom Hunter via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

I cannot understand the mindset of people who buy up components desperately
sought by others who want to restore machines just to nail them to their
man cave or living room wall.
These same types of people vacuum up core memory boards, keyboards, disk
platters, 9-track tapes, etc just for bragging rights and as a result
depriving those who restore and preserve computer systems from doing so.

Agreed for the most part, with the exception of disk platters.  While it might
be theoretically possible to repair a disk pack, or disk drive, given a loose
platter in good condition, I doubt this is practical.  Partly because few if
any of us have the precision equipment needed to do this, and partly because
loose platters are typically loose because they were wrecked.

There might be some exceptions: a spare RF11 or RC11/RS64 platter merely needs
to be bolted to the spindle hub and formatted, that's a normal field repair
procedure.  But, say, a platter out of an RP04 pack is unlikely ever to be able
to serve as anything more than a wall hanging or a prop.

I have a wall plaque given to me when I left DOIM at USMA.
It is made out of a platter from a mainframe hard disk and
and the emblem from a Cadet "Tar Bucket" helmet.  It still
hangs, proudly, on my wall.

bill