> How "stable" is bubble memory, over decades?
>
> There is a Sharp PC-5000 that may be available, I believe from 1983-1985
> era, which is said to have bubble memory.  But the owner can't find a power
> cable, to verify if anything still works.
>
> I have older systems with ICs that are still working OK, but I was
> wondering thoughts on any risk associated with bubble memory?  (likelihood
> of not working at all, or being damaged in long distance shipping)
>
> Actually another thought, can any "normal" ICs be used to
> replace/substitute the bubble memory?

Bubble memory uses magnetic domains, so to a first approximation it's as
"stable" as any other magnetic storage system. These domains tend to be
relatively large by modern standards. The modules are invariably magnetically
shielded in heavy coverings, and are shockproof. If it works it all, it
probably works fine.

I have a Texas Instruments Silent 700 Model 763 and so far no problems with
storing and retrieving data on its bubble memory cards, even though this unit
is well over 40 years old (here it is with my KIM-1 as a punch tape storage
system:

http://oldvcr.blogspot.com/2022/09/what-kim-1-really-needs-is-bubble.html

).

There are no modern drop-in equivalents for bubble memory modules specifically.
Bubble memory is inherently serial and requires additional drive circuitry.
However, that doesn't mean someone couldn't make a unit that emulates the
entire system and looks like a bubble memory storage device, naturally, just
like any other disk emulator.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckai...@floodgap.com
-- Do you think I could buy back my introduction to you? -- Groucho Marx ------