On 11/3/22 3:27 PM, Dennis Boone via cctalk wrote:
Some people are bothered by Kryoflux's behavior around openness of their formats and the like. I _think_ they've addressed that, but if you care about this, you will have to verify.

Ya.  I'm starting to see that.

I don't /personally/ care about deeper images than a dd image which I can attach to a hypervisor or use to re-create physical disks when needed.

If I'm going to re-image my disks, I'm willing to put in a little bit more time and effort (per disk) and some additional time and cost in hardware /if/ it's not onerous /and/ the community will benefit from my efforts.

_My_ Kryoflux went deaf -- quit hearing any flux on the read line from the drive -- but that doesn't seem to be common.

:-(

The SuperCard Pro doesn't seem to support 8" disks. That may or may not be an issue for you.

I do own some 8" disks, but they are only as a museum piece of ancient media along with some hard drive platters. I have no aspiration of ever having an 8" disk drive, much less in a usable state.

The frustrating part of the whole flux imaging arena is that the hardware is actually the _easy_ part. Software to decode flux images for all the myriad on-disk formats, copy protection schemes, etc is both the hard part _and_ the part everyone seems to skip over. If you just need to process Apple / Atari / Commodore / PC diskettes, you're probably covered. For anything else you're probably on your own.
As indicated, effectively, if not literally, everything I have is PC compatible disks.

Note that some disk types are CLV, not CAV (e.g. some Mac disks), and reading them without additional hardware support may be problematic.

Is Constant Linear vs Angular Velocity (?) anything I need to worry about when sticking within the IBM PC compatible line from say '90 forward?

The only other thing that I might add to this would be Zip or Syquest disks if I ever acquire media / drives.

I figure that CD-ROMs / DVD-ROMs are largely a solved problem. Simply use dd for single track disks and something that does cue / bin files for multi-track disks. -- I think

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die