On Sun, Jan 8, 2023 at 1:50 PM Chris Zach via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
> That will be complex. I had an RK8 disk controller (the 6 foot cabinet
> that was it) along with a pair of the RK03 disk drives and it was (a)
> insane, (b) heavy beyond belief, and (c) finicky.

I think I've only ever seen pictures.  I know I haven't seen one up close.

> It also required Data break which is not built into the stock pdp8/L.

That's just a few common modules, fortunately.

> You would need a BM08 box, and as I'm looking for one myself they will
> be tough to get :-)

Absolutely.  Not a lot of benefit having storage without memory extension.

> You might be better off getting your 8/L working and trying things like
> FOCAL on paper tape and other simple paper tape/serial based stuff.
> Running OS/8 will require either a pdp8/I (with the extra memory, data
> break, and helpful things like the EAE) or as I mentioned a BM08.

FOCAL is absolutely a good starting point for making a 4K PDP-8/L do
_something_ interesting.  I haven't ever tried doing assembly using
the paper tape tools (it's several passes and uses quite a bit of
tape) but I have assembled small programs by hand and toggled them
directly into the front panel.  Obviously that's no fun for anything
over a few dozen instructions.

-ethan