On 1/9/23 21:16, nico de jong via cctalk wrote:
Hello Chuck

Speaking of old floppies, when I was busy converting floppies (I've
now been retired for 10 years) I frequently had problems reading some
5.25" disks, but only on specific drives. Those disks came from IBM
systems, probably S/3.

I cannot be sure that the solution holds, but it was my experience
that those "faulty" discs could be read on TEAC FD235GFR drives
orignating from Japan. Not the ones from the Philippines ! That
puzzled me, until I called MIchael Cotgrove from (then) Intermedia in
the UK, who told me that he knew that some IBM systems ran the drives
at a lower speed, and that that very well could be the problem. After
that explanation, I only used the 142U version of the drive, and the
problems went away.

Does this sound familiar?