> I find myself wondering, how well does CD-R and DVD-R media that hasn’t been
> used age?

Anecdotal, but I have some Fuji blanks from the 90s that still burn just fine
(works great on old drives that hate modern "see-through" media). The DVD-Rs I
have were bought by my parents in the mid-2000s when they thought they were
really going to move all their VHS to DVD The Hard Way, they bought like 500
Verbatim-branded blanks and used maybe 20.

I have a few spindles of Verbatim archival CD-Rs and DVD-Rs, which are mostly
used for sending customers backups of data. Those were bought some time before
2015 and work fine. One would sort of expect that, though :P

I also threw out most of a spindle of IIRC Memorex that came in some lot of
something else that looked like it was maybe 5 or 6 years old. Ended up with
some still-wrapped Sony blanks from the 90s (I think they were rated for 2x
burning!) that were totally eaten up, something attacked the metal layer. They
came with a bunch of other CDs (burned and pressed) that were all fine, so I
assume it wasn't storage conditions.

Thanks,
Jonathan