Chris,
one question on the conclusion: was the Mandelbrot program set to use floating
point, or fixed-point arithmetic? I’m pretty sure the DSP version was
fixed-point (integer, scaled) arithmetic to make it run faster. The conclusion
might apply to the Pentium’s performance in integer tasks but not be relevant
to floating-point tasks.

                                        - Mark

On Mar 3, 2023, at 4:21 PM, Chris Zach via cctalk