On 2023-May-13, at 6:54 PM, Jay Jaeger via cctalk wrote:
> Will reply in answer myself on this one:
>
> Firstly the paper tape reader is an HP 2748B - sorry about that typo (blush).
>
> Secondly the AMP connector I acquired was NOT compatible with the Continental
> connector on the paper tape reader.  The pins on the AMP connector, while
> larger than those on the Winchester connector, were still a shade too small
> to make a reliable connection - the connector was clearly loose when mated.
>
> Which brings up the question: does anyone have a spare cable or 50 pin male
> Continental connector that I could purchase/trade for?

No spare connector, sorry.

If it's of any help though, on my 2748 connector (the cord-plug-in end) the
male pin diameter is 0.061 ~ 0.062" (measured with a cheap micrometer, perhaps
the actual spec is 1/16=0.0625).

I understand the confusion - I have on hand 3 different examples of ~0.062"
dia. male pins. Cursorily they look the same and plug into the same female pin,
but are different in length and in the shoulder-housing-insert area. Then there
are similar-looking pins that are ~0.040" diameter, which may be what you
acquired.

These kind of look like they might be the 0.062 diameter:

        https://www.ebay.com/itm/115573632341

whereas these look like they could be the 0.040 diameter:

        https://www.ebay.com/itm/115573630849

But then you have to watch out to be getting the correct type of pin for the
housing one is using, for as stated above they can differ in that section of
the pin even though of the same mating diameter.