On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 09:01:58AM -0700, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> On 5/19/23 04:36, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 May 2023 at 20:10, Fred Cisin via cctalk
> > <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> a 386 desktop running Win98SE (first version to support USB)
> >
> > Hang on a minute.
> >
> > [1] Win98 on a 386? Really? It might work but it will be horribly
> > horribly slow.
> >
> > Win95 was just barely usable on a 386; I benchmarked it at release.
>
> I'm not so sure about a 386 and Win98.  Seems to me I tried to install
> 98SE on a 20MHz 386 years ago and it didn't work.  Said 386 has a
> whopping 13MB of RAM, all located on a plug in card.  The AT-sized
> motherboard is nothing but SSI/MSI TTL with no custom chipsets, so no
> room for RAM.
[...]

According to this page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_98#System_requirements

the lowliest machine supported is 486 with 16MB (Windows 98) or 24MB
(Windows 98SE). However,

"Users can bypass processor requirement checks with the undocumented
/NM setup switch. This allows installation on computers with
processors as old as the Intel 80386."

But I have no way to verify this.

--
Regards,