Best thing to do is keep an old 10mbit switch or hub around with 100mbit or
gigabit uplink. Second best thing is to have a router that will talk 10mbit
half duplex.

I've also found some poorly behaved stuff that won't autonegotiate duplex even
with older switches, like my 3Com SuperStack II. Asante SCSI Ethernet adapters
come to mind. Had to set the duplex manually on the switch.

Along those lines, 10gig copper interfaces often don't want to talk to 100mbit
ports! Found that out when we had a switch fail and stuck an older 10/100
switch in just to get back up and running.

Thanks,
Jonathan