Tony, I don't recall what became of the AT with 486 replacement
processor that used to be your main home machine.  ISTR it had loads of
different floppy drives hung off it.  Is it still functional / repairable?
Still works, or at least it did when I last powered it up. But no easy
way to read USB sticks or SD cards on it.

-tony

I wasn't trying to solve the whole problem at once!

A lot of people have recommended "sneakernet" to connect your modern laptop to an older machine with drives hung off it.  I was wondering about the latter half of this - what might be the older machine with the drives.  I think that AT would be a good choice.

In which case we can move on to the former - what you are physically carrying from machine to machine.

I still think a SCSI drive is a possibility.  You seem to be considering an SD card.  Some have suggested CF cards, with which I'm not familiar.  For that matter, whatever became of PCMCIA cards?  How big did they get anyway?

Philip.