On Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 1:21 PM Fred Cisin via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> If/when I dig it out, how much should I ask for it?   (Berkeley California)
> NO, Ed, I won't give it away AND pay shipping.

:D

> EARLY 5150, but with trivial modifications, such as additional holes in
> brackets for 4 half-height drives, and probably has a different video
> board and disk controller than the IBM ones that I originally bought with
> it.  At one time, I had a Plantronics 640x400 CGA-sorta-like video, and
> I used 8 inch drives with a Vista disk controller, a Maynard, and maybe
> one or two others (but only one disk controller at a time; I only did
> multiple controllers with 5160 and 5170)
> It had a D hole in the back panel, I might have punched an additional
> D hole, . . .
> I recall it having an unusual black power supply with a white switch (Did
> IBM run short of inventory supply?), but I might have replaced that at
> some point.

The primary distinguishing features of the very first run of 5150's are:

1) No "B" inside a circle stamped on the back panel
2) Only two case screws on lower right and left of back panel (none on top)
3) Black power supply

Here's a photo that shows this ==>
https://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5150/early/5150_early_case_rear.jpg

Bill Degnan (from whom I learned all this) knows more about this.

Sellam