A slitter is a wide paper feed system with sharp-edged pulleys over which
it passes. There are quite a few videos of this on youtube, it's
surprisingly well documented. Because slitter manufacturers are selling to
mom-and-pop outfits.

I think the tape is supplied unpunched and the tape punch makes both feed
holes and data holes. I could be wrong.