On Fri, Jun 23, 2023, 6:59 PM Bill Degnan via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 23, 2023, 6:33 PM Fred Cisin via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org
> >
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 23 Jun 2023, Bill Degnan via cctalk wrote:
> > > It boots fine, did I say it did not boot? I don't remember.   There is
> no
> > > arcnet card, it's not the later model PCs LIMITED box, does not match
> the
> > > red label logo that came out in 1986
>

> Well, I appreciate that people answered my question.  I sometimes ask
> questions and then proceed to work on it until I figure it out.  There is a
> THESYS "MULTI/RAM card and that was the card with the password ROM.  I
> found the dip switch "PW" and turned it off.   Problem solved.  The Turbo
> error #04 is still a mystery, but it does not prevent me from using the
> system.  I am thinking there's an incorrect but incidental switch setting.
> It could be a RAM chip but I have no proof.  Chkdsk returns an full 640K.

I'm very curious if it gets figured out or if there are any publications
maybe around the time to help identify the parts Dell would have used. I
could be thinking too simply for the college years he built them in his
dorm so I'd imagine common off the shelf parts and generally just an IBM
clone. I would think some other similar era computers would also have that
error code.

I started reading another person's post with a similar error on vcfed
forums but I don't think they ever really solved it. There was an attempt
to dump the bios to see what it might be checking (beyond my depth of
knowledge).

 I guess that would let you know if it's a bios or other device printing
the error. I assume you've booted it with no addon cards and still see the
message.