Van: Paul Koning via cctalk<mailto:cctalk@classiccmp.org>
Verzonden: donderdag 17 augustus 2023 15:26
Aan: cctalk@classiccmp.org<mailto:cctalk@classiccmp.org>
CC: Paul Koning<mailto:paulkon...@comcast.net>
Onderwerp: [cctalk] Re: Nixies..

Neat.  Their products are amazingly expensive, though.

Depending on your definition that might actually be the second largest.
Philips built neon displays that visually look exactly like Nixie tubes that
were much larger.  Those are technically different: a Nixie tube uses multiple
electrodes shaped like the shapes you want, enclosed in a single gas-filled
enclosure.  The big Philips displays are multiple regular neon discharge tubes
(like the ones used on advertising signs) enclosed in a transparent shell
shaped like a tube.

These were used at the Evoluon museum in Eindhoven for the daily visitor
counter.  They were installed in the main hall, on the railing of the first
balcony.  I'm not sure of their size, but I would guess 3 feet or so high.

        paul