On Thu, 31 Aug 2023, Wayne S via cctalk wrote:
Was the picture significantly better then with the modulator ?

It always was for me.

With composite input, I could read 80 characters per line, not with RF,

For example, on the RS Coco, it wasn't very hard to bring out composite video for a sharper picture. With RF, the signal was converted from video to RF, and then the TV tuner converted back to video. Certainly, some were worse than others, . . .

The tuners in VCRs were almost always much better than those in TVs, for watching over the air broadcasts, a VCR tuner with composite video to a monitor was better than a TV.
From 1975 until 2010, I didn't have a TV with a tuner.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred                 ci...@xenosoft.com