There are now some open source tools for working with fpgas. They started
with the ice40 but have now been extended to cover others such that it's
worth googling for free fpga tools rather than going to a single site.

example
https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/maker/projects/introduction-to-fpga-part-2-toolchain-setup/563a9518cd11466fb6a75cf3cb684d6d