On 3/28/2024 3:08 PM, Doug McIntyre via cctalk wrote:
On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 01:47:03PM -0400, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
On 3/28/2024 1:25 PM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

On Mar 28, 2024, at 1:02 PM, Alessandro Mazzini via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

Sorry if I intrude... now is no more possible to obtain hobbyist licenses for
vms ??

You can still get one for OpenVMS/x86.

As of the past few days, that may not be the case anymore.

The newsletter I received said that they are dropping Alpha/Integrity
OpenVMS licensing, but x86 licensing will continue. (VAX licenses have
been gone for awhile, from before VSI??).

"We will continue to offer community licenses for OpenVMS on x86. You can apply
here"
https://vmssoftware.com/products/licenses/

A second letter the same day said that the Community License was
done. X86 will be a pre-configured VM, good for one year at which
time it will be replaced with a new VM.  Most people see that as
meaning if you use it every year you will have to re-do anything
you did to the image that was not part of the original.

And also

"We are also launching the OpenVMS Ambassador program. As an OpenVMS Ambassador, you
can get a custom OpenVMS license for Alpha, Integrity or x86 free of charge. Read more
about the OpenVMS Ambassador program and apply here"
https://share.hsforms.com/131UO5x_iSEGxlYs8pQTYSQdi37l

Read the requirements.  Most Hobbyists would not qualify.  I certainly
wouldn't.

I have been a VMS User for about 44 years and an systems administrator
for about 30 years.  At this point, I see the light at the end of the
tunnel.  And I suspect it is an oncoming train.

bill