> Been lurking for a while, but this topic hits true with some recent
> experiences. I would not hesitate to buy most common digital ICs on Amazon
> or ebay

I mean we had to stop buying 7400 series from Jameco over counterfeits, so it's
definitely a problem for jellybean parts too. We had so many reject 74F573
latches go out in XT-IDE kits we just scrapped the remaining Jameco-provided
inventory. We also started having issues with 28C64B EEPROMs from them, obvious
relabels that wouldn't program with the Atmel SDP algorithm -- that's actually
why they started shipping pre-programmed in kits! Real shame, I've bought from
Jameco since I was a kid, they'd actually sell to Just Some Kid :P

Personally I'm not willing to save the relatively small amount of money on TTL
by buying from random sources. It's especially infuriating when you're building
something for the first time (prototypes, someone else's project you've never
put together, etc.) and it turns out to be a dead 25 cent chip.

Thanks,
Jonathan