The Altair 8800 used a microprocessor, the 8080, and came to public
prominence in Jan. 1975 in Popular Electronics magazine: "World's First
Minicomptuer Kit to Rival Commercial Models."  I have the original magazine
from that era and I remember this quite well as it brought attention to a
mass-consumer audience  - a device called a microcomputer though not what
PE called it! Here in Canada the price was very expensive but I had a dear
friend, an electronics engineer, who purchased one. It was very limited,
hardware and software-wise, and my friend found it a ‘nightmare’ to build
but what a momentous reward when it finally worked. To this 23 year-old it
certainly sparked my interest with what we now call classical computing.

Happy computing all. 🙂