On Sat, Apr 27, 2024 at 11:53 AM Bill Degnan via cctalk <
cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Magazine cover january, and into 1975 the revolution.  So I'd say all
> year.  Not one specific date
> Bill
>
> On Sat, Apr 27, 2024, 12:05 AM Fred Cisin via cctalk <
> cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 26 Apr 2024, Sellam Abraham via cctalk wrote:
> > > It really is a momentous event, and should be properly honored and
> > > celebrated.  Wow, half a century.
> > > Thanks for bringing this up.
> >
> > Is this half a century from when they said, "Hey, you know what would be
> > neat to build?"
> > or from when they started designing?
> > or got a preliminary design done?
> > built a prototype?
> > announced it?
> > started taking orders?
> > started filling orders?
> >
> > Fred

In my experience, talking with many older computer people during the
earlier years that I began collecting in earnest (late 90s, early 00s),
their introduction to computing came by way of buying and building an
Altair 8800 kit based on the cover of the January 1975 issue of Popular
Electronics, or at least being captivated by it.

I call it the Big Bang of the Microcomputer Era.

Sellam