I can't vouch for later drives, but the earliest 600RPM Sony drives were built we no knowledge of HD vs DD, so covering the HD hole is probably a moot point in the HP drives, though it is likely worth taping over it for any formatting options.

It's worth noting that the speed is pretty much a moot point as well. As long as the data is written on the disks correctly by the modern machine, the older 600RPM drives should have no problem reading it. My RCA MS2000 reads floppies written in modern machines perfectly fine and that has even more oddball single sided 600RPM drives.

As someone else said, the disk loading mechanism gets very stiff as the lubricant solidifies. It's quite easy to free it up with some IPA and patience. I'd be very careful not to ruin the upper heads on dual sided drives by forcing disks in and out though. Thankfully a moot point with my drives!

Could be that the drive heads need cleaning and alignment. Have you had any success formatting disks on the target machine, if possible?

Josh Rice