From: "Johan Helsingius via cctalk" <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
To: "cctalk" <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
Cc: "Johan Helsingius" <j...@julf.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2024 8:03:38 AM
Subject: [cctalk] Re: APL (Was: BASIC

On 02/05/2024 01:51, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
> What would our world be like if the first home computers were to have had
> APL, instead of BASIC?

I don't know, but if you had asked "What would our world be like if the
first home computers were to have had SmallTalk or even ALGOL instead of
BASIC?" I would have said "much better".

I started out with FORTRAN and 6800 assembler, but my first real
programming job was in BASIC. I am fortunate in that they thought
me Pascal in university, and I then got exposed to a bunch of other
real high level languages - if I hadn't, and had continued with
BASIC, I would probably have ended up as a pretty crap programmer.

Julf