I've also had TVs with modular RF inputs. One was a huge plasma wall TV and
the other a tiny cheap caravan TV but both had locations for an RF input
card which I assumed could be replaced by cards to suit local national TV
standards. These have no visible controls and, like the PC TV cards,
probably have an I2C tuner module. The linux TV application xawtv has code
for controlling these.

A similar device was used with BBC and Archimedes computers to receive the
UK teletext service - it tuned to the TV services and extracted data that
was broadcast in the vertical blanking interval.