-----Oorspronkelijk bericht----- From: william degnan
Sent: Saturday, September 05, 2015 5:40 PM
To: cctech
Subject: Re: Tu10 pdp11

Ok.  I checked my tu10, it has the backplane, it is a master.  I see where
it connects using the backplane cable to the pdp11.  I never worked with a
TU10 before and I was looking to see if references to the tm11 were
"module/card" or backplane interface.  I surprisingly found little
commentary or threads about the TU10 / TM11,  other than DEC docs.  I guess
these are not super common or people who have them have not often reached
out to the classic cmp community, that I could find in a search.

Bill Degnan
twitter: billdeg
vintagecomputer.net
On Sep 5, 2015 3:37 AM, "Eric Smith" <space...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 6:14 PM, william degnan <billdeg...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Reading docs on DEC TU10 for pdp 11 one makes a serial connection, > right?
> Not sure because I found little about baud, etc.

No.

> I did not see any definitive controller card for UNIBUS pdp 11.  Maybe I
am
> missing something..can anyone share experiences?

A TU10 master drive contains electronics[*] which allows it to be
interfaced to a PDP-11 TM11 tape control. Said electronics is probably
what's known as a formatter, though I haven't studied the TU10 in
detail so I'm not 100% certain.

A master TU10 can be used with up to seven TU10, TU20, TU30, or TU40
slave transports.

The TM11 controller has its own backplane, and may be mounted in the
TU10 master drive. It connects to PDP-11 using the usual BC11-A Unibus
cables.

======
I may be wrong, but then again, this might be useful ...
The TE16 is nearly (?) identical to the TU10. My guess is that the TU10
is just a bit older. My TE16 has a MASSBUS interface, so I cannot
compare on that side. However, the TE16 also is either master or slave.
And to a master can be connected 7 slaves. The interconnection is three
40-wire flat cables.
ISTR that the interface for the TU10 is a 4-slot backplane, and I
think it is called TMB11. The TMB11 is also used to hook up the TS03.
So you need the 4-slot backplane in the master tape drive, and the
4-slot TMB11 backplane in the CPU or expansion box.
This is from (old) memory cells, so I could be wrong!
- Henk