http://www.indytorrents.org/torrent/10372448/DDJ_DVD6.iso.xz

which leads to:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:836be84ab08061ba8bf3dbd1e6c85ef1d28aa36c&dn=DDJ_DVD6.iso.xz&tr=udp%3A%2F%
2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org
%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com
%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%
2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969

I use a program called 'deluge' on Windows to download torrents the few
times I use them (usually for the Internet Archive which incidentally also
has some Dr Dobbs content -
https://archive.org/search.php?query=dobbs&&and[]=mediatype%3A%22software%22
 )

There's little risk in downloading a file like this and just looking at the
contents.  Now running any executables from the DVD once you've burned or
mounted it is another question, but since these disks are mostly about
source code and documents, you can probably just ignore all the executables
and be relatively safe.  Nothing is going to auto-run or auto-install just
by looking at it and with the magnet link you don't even need to visit any
dubious websites and be afraid of a drive-by zero-day attack.

Uncompress the .iso.xz with unxz --keep or xzcat or (I think) 7zip on
windows.  I'm trying to download it myself at the moment but I don't think
there are any seeders with a full copy available right now,  I'l leave my
torrent downloader online for a few days in case more turn up.

I expect you've also found
http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/science/rpn/biblio/ddj/Website/index.htm
which is not the same as ftp://ftp.drdobbs.com/sourcecode/ddj/

Graham