> On Jun 1, 2022, at 5:53 AM, Warner Losh via cctech <cctech@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:

> I believe the DEPCA was based on the venerable
> SONIC chipset, but it may have been the LANCE. It wasn't NE-2000 compatible
> (that came later) :).

LANCE seems plausible, or perhaps one of the later chips designed by DEC
Jerusalem (SGEC etc.).  What's a SONIC?

The non-LANCE non-DEC Ethernets I remember are in the DEUNA (no idea what), QNA
(Fujitsu???) and CNA (Intel 82586, *groan*).  The LANCE was designed well, with
a fair amount of DEC input, and the subsequent internally produced chips were
constructed along similar lines.  Once DEC learned  how to make them at not
quite insane cost, they became a very good choice and were generally used in
DEC products.

        paul