On 06/12/2018 05:22 PM, Chase wrote:
The headers can be changed with a simple used find and replace.

Which touches a lot of files and can be error prone...

It wasn't the install database, my bad, was thinking of something different,
its used in dtinfo, for the library dtmmdb, but the point still stands that we
do not possess copyright of that code.

Well, what would we do about it then? Just like with LGPL, we can of course distribute it. So we would then need an MIT license for everything expect the berkely stuff, which I assume it BSD licensed? Looking at the license, it seems we are fine with it...

The first 2 clauses are just like MIT. The 3rd clause - we do not advertise our use of it, so that one doesn't matter. 4th clause is irrelevant for us. So I'm not seeing the problem...

I guess the only way to get the ball rolling is to wait for peter to get back
then... Shame as our move to MIT could fix the licensing issues when trying to
implement a newer version of ast-ksh.

Which also will not happen this release. I don't know, really what the options are for us - I'm not a lawyer. Peter was the one who chose LGPL for CDE along with TOG - though it seemed it didn't really matter to them (TOG). So, may not be a big deal.

We would like to be GPL compatible so that other GPL projects could use our
code and contribute towards it.

We are currently GPL compatible. If/when we move to MIT, we will still be GPL compatible... What am I missing?

-jon

​Thank you for your time,

-Chase​