On 06/13/18 01:09, Jon Trulson wrote:
On 06/11/2018 07:52 PM, Matthew R. Trower wrote:
Can anyone comment on why we're building with ImportMotif (which appears
to be for building with an in-tree copy of Motif) rather than building
with UseInstalledMotif (which appears to be for building with a system
installed Motif, e.g. what we actually do)?

See site.def, Motif.rules, Motif.tmpl

Looking at the in-tree motif, all that's there these days is doc and
localization for Motif.  Does that have something to do with it?

True, its mainly used for localization. These files are also present in
the Motif source code but not in the Motif binary packages.
If we want to have localized message files for Motif then we must fetch
them from the Motif source code or use the CDE versions.
I think the second choice is much easier.

Perhaps we should review this.  On linux at least, we always build with the installed X11 and Motif.

Not quite true, Linux uses the CDE version of the Motif message files
as well.

The imports are there primarily for man page and book generation for Motif.  I think that should be Motif's job, so I am currently unaware of why we need to do that, and perhaps we can get rid of the imports/motif/ directory completely.

Man pages could indeed be taken from the Motif packages. But the format
is slightly different. So there would be some work necessary.

-jon

-- Matthew R. Trower

I also have SGML docu in the imports directory. It can be used in dtinfo
as an own library additional to the CDE library. But its from Motif 2.1.00.
That's a version before Motif has become open source. For this reason
I never published these files.

Ulrich Wilkens
Email: m...@uwilkens.de