Looks like those do _not_ work with focus follows mouse; note the sentence for
f.next_key and f.prev_key that says:
This function is treated as f.nop if keyboardFocusPolicy is not explicit.

(IMO, that makes sense enough, since with keyboardFocusPolicy: pointer (i.e.
focus follows mouse), all you have to do anyway is move the mouse.)

from dtwm(1):
        keyboardFocusPolicy (class KeyboardFocusPolicy)
             If set to pointer, the keyboard focus policy is to
             have the keyboard focus set to the client window
             that contains the pointer (the pointer could also be
             in the client window decoration that dtwm adds).  If
             set to explicit, the policy is to have the keyboard
             focus set to a client window when the user presses
             button 1 with the pointer on the client window or
             any part of the associated dtwm decoration.  The
             default value for this resource is explicit.

from dtwmrc(4):

        f.next_key [icon | window | transient]
                       This  function  sets  the  keyboard  input
                       focus  to  the next window/icon in the set
                       of windows/icons managed by the  workspace
                       manager (the ordering of this set is based
                       on the stacking of windows on the screen).
                       This  function is treated as f.nop if key-
                       boardFocusPolicy  is  not  explicit.   The
                       keyboard input focus is only moved to win-
                       dows that do not have an associated secon-
                       dary window that is application modal.  If
                       the transient argument is specified,  then
                       transient    (secondary)    windows    are
                       traversed (otherwise, if  only  window  is
                       specified,  traversal  is done only to the
                       last focused window in a transient group).
                       If an icon function argument is specified,
                       then the function applies only  to  icons.
                       If  a  window  function argument is speci-
                       fied, then the function  applies  only  to
                       windows.

        f.prev_key [icon | window | transient]
                       This  function  sets  the  keyboard  input
                       focus  to  the previous window/icon in the
                       set  of  windows/icons  managed   by   the
                       workspace  manager  (the  ordering of this
                       set is based on the stacking of windows on
                       the  screen).  This function is treated as
                       f.nop if keyboardFocusPolicy is not expli-
                       cit.   The  keyboard  input  focus is only
                       moved to windows that do not have an asso-
                       ciated  secondary  window that is applica-
                       tion modal.  If the transient argument  is
                       specified, then transient (secondary) win-
                       dows are  traversed  (otherwise,  if  only
                       window  is  specified,  traversal  is done
                       only to the last focused window in a tran-
                       sient  group).   If an icon function argu-
                       ment  is  specified  then   the   function
                       applies only to icons.  If an window func-
                       tion argument is specified then the  func-
                       tion applies only to windows.