Specific graphics can relate to branding; if they didn't want to do that, I can
understand it.

They did put a lot of work into clang/llvm and CUPS, and that's certainly
benefited others.  They've open sourced some things they wrote themselves (or
bought), like libdispatch and the Swift compiler front-end, and FoundationDB.

As to why they do some things and not others, why do most people or
organizations do most things?  For advantage, or sometimes because their
lawyers told them to.  Now not all advantage is to anyone else's disadvantage,
nor necessarily measurable in single-quarter profit. But selfless virtue should
not be expected of any organization. :-)