Lochana,

Can you give code examples? I would indeed go for the iterating
reader... You could look at Bioclipse which provides such
functionality and see how they do it (they use indexing so that you
can not just scroll down but also up).

I'll try in a second to process ChEMBL with the iterating reader to
see how long that takes...

Egon

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 7:46 PM, lochana menikarachchi
<locha...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I need to quickly load 5-10 molecules to a jTable from a large SD file(say 1
> million structures). The table needs to be updated by loading only 5-10
> structures as the user scrolls down the table. I tried various SDF readers
> in CDK. Iterating reader, RandomAccessSDFReader but, they are extremely slow
> compared to what MarvinView (written in java) has. MarvinView can load 5-10
> structures from extremely large files in few seconds. I wonder how marvin
> does this?? Any suggestions to replicate this functionality with CDK??
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lochana

Dr E.L. Willighagen
Postdoctoral Researcher