If it doesn't hurt why not leave it. I will help me to make my program a lot
more open source. Right now I am using marvin because it retains this
information.

________________________________
 From: John May <john...@ebi.ac.uk>
To: lochana menikarachchi <locha...@yahoo.com>
Cc: "cdk-user@lists.sourceforge.net" <cdk-user@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 11:25 AM
Subject: Re: [Cdk-user] Charge and Stereo Columns in SD Files

HI Lochana,

The charge column will not be written but the 'M CHG' fields will be.

M  CHG  1   1  -1
M  CHG  1   4   1

This is the correct way to write the charge - the column is ignored if any CHG
field appears in the output.

M CHGnn8 aaa vvv ...

>vvv: -15 to +15. Default of 0 = uncharged atom. When present, this property
>supersedes
>all charge and radical values in the atom block, forcing a 0 charge on all
>atoms not
>listed in an M CHG or M RAD line

If the proprietary program relies on this then it is incorrect and also won't
read anything with a charge < -3 or > +3 which is not writable in the column
(hence why it's superseded).

If you really want this column to be written you can add a patch - which
modifies this line -
https://github.com/cdk/cdk/blob/master/src/main/org/openscience/cdk/io/MDLV2000Writer.java#L417.

Many thanks,

On 22 Sep 2013, at 14:21, lochana menikarachchi <locha...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My biggest concern is the charge column.  One of our programs uses a
>proprietary program that relies on this information.

columns and it is nice to have SDF in the same format as oechem and Marvin.