It's a simple change but it makes sense to me a chain is length>1

John

Regards,
John W May
john.wilkinson...@gmail.com

On 18 February 2016 at 14:52, Giovanni Cincilla <gcinci...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I just had the possibility to test the corrected version. In general the
> inconsistencies were solved, but I still have doubt.
> Molecules from Row2 to Row8 now have all the correct values for
> LargestChainDescriptor. Anyway I think that Row0 and Row1 molecules should
> have (given its definition) a LargestChainDescriptor = 1 because they do
> have one atom in a non cyclic system. In my opinion LargestChainDescriptor
> should distinguish between these cases and those where no atoms are present
> in non cyclic system. While with the current implementation seems it is not
> possible to have a LargestChainDescriptor = 1.
>
> I my mind:
>
>    1. "Cc1nn(c(N)c1)-c2nc3c(s2)cccc3" should have a
>    LargestChainDescriptor = 1
>    2. "s1c2c(cccc2)nc1-n3cccn3" should have a LargestChainDescriptor = 0
>

> What do you think about this? Do I am missing something?
> Thanks in advance for your help and support.
> Gio
>
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 4:47 PM, Rajarshi Guha <rajarshi.g...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, it does appear to be a bug.
>>
>> Inspeting the code the LargestChainDescriptor is looking for the longest
>> path that contains non-aromatic, non-ring atoms.
>>
>>  For Row0, there are only two non-ring, non-aromatic atoms and so there
>> are two possible chains with a single atom, hence each chain has the value
>> of 0.
>>
>> For Row2, the longest chain according to the definition is the C#N
>> substructure, hence the value should be 2
>>
>> For Row5 and Row6, the values should also be 2.
>>
>> I've attached a patch against master that fixes this (I wasn't sure how
>> to make a pull request from a local branch)
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 7:50 AM, Giovanni Cincilla <gcinci...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you for your quick reply.
>>> Examples are provided in the original KNIME forum thread (
>>> https://tech.knime.org/forum/cdk/cdk-largest-chain-descriptor-inconsistencies#comment-41502),
>>> anyway I can report those here:
>>>
>>> 2. In some cases terminal atoms seems not to be counted as part of the
>>> largest chain LC (LC Row0 = 0; LC Row2 = 1), while in other cases they are
>>> (LC Row5 = 2; LC Row6 =2).
>>> 3. In some cases iso terminal groups are countes as 2 (Row4) while in
>>> other cases are counted as 3 (Row8).
>>>
>>> *Molecules:*
>>> "Row0","Cc1nn(c(c1)N)c1nc2c(s1)cccc2"
>>> "Row1","Clc1cnn(c(=O)c1Cl)Cc1[nH]c(=O)c2c(n1)c1ccccc1o2"
>>> "Row2","Nc1c(cn[nH]1)C#N"
>>> "Row3","Fc1ccc(cc1)C(=O)c1ccc(cc1)Oc1ncc(cn1)Br"
>>> "Row4","[O-][n+]1ccc(cc1)[N+](=O)[O-]"
>>> "Row5","OCc1ccccc1CN"
>>> "Row6","COc1ccc(cc1)c1noc(c1)Cn1nc(C)c(c(c1=O)C#N)C"
>>> "Row7","Cc1nc(SCc2nc3ccsc3c(=O)[nH]2)c2c(n1)scc2c1cccs1"