This has come up before, but wanted to hear from users.

Currently the project versioning system is 1.{odd/even}.{number} where by 1
is fixed for now, odd/even for stability (e.g. 1.4.x stable, 1.5.x
unstable), the last number just increments. This system hints that 1.4 is
the preferred version as being "stable" but this hasn't been touched in
years. Stable here really means API is fixed, but often also be interpreted
as more robust. This odd/even number *was* used by Linux kernal until 2004
but is not any longer. I'm hesitant to bump to 1.6 on this systems as
working deep in the code base I know a lot of things need fixing.

Does this system make sense/do you like this system?

I would like to propose switching to the following version system:
{major}.{minor}.{maintenance}. Where by {major}=API change, {minor}=new
API, {maintenance}=bug fix/patch release. Number will climb faster but I
believe it will be easier to pinpoint how much further ahead a new version
is.

At the end of the day it's just a number.

Regards,
John W May
john.wilkinson...@gmail.com