> >> In addition, with ATAPI I don't know of anyway to get
> >> the drive external from the actual PC. As I stated
> >> earlier I have valid concerns about temperature and
> >> vibration from the PC.
> >>
> >> Are those of you using the Pioneer A03 with IDE at
> >> least happy with it? Does it seem like a solid drive?
>
> >Firewire is the best invention since chopped bread.
>
> >I have a Pioneer DVR-A03 build into a external 5,1/4" Firewire Case.
> >Works flawlessly even with Linux.
>
> I just tested a SCSI adapter with the A03 but it unfortunately
> does not disconnect/reconnect.
> In general the quality of the adapters is bad. Maybe this
> is the reason why Yamaha has special firmware in the adapter they
> sell to limit use wo Yahama drives.

Thats the reason why i prefer dedicated SCSI-Channels. e.g. I used
a dedicated (5 Channel)-Fast-SCSI-RAID-Controller when i used
4 Teac-CDR-58S for burning CDRs. (In total Linux showed 10 SCSI-Channels)

Then even Solaris should't have any problems with disconnect/reconnect
incapable devices.

> Solaris currently only supports video cameras over FireWire.

You should urge the Solaris-Firewire-People to implement SBP-2.
Then the whole range of Mass-Storage devices is suddenly usable, as all devices
(i know) use SBP-2 (Serial BackPack Protocol 2 = SCSI over Firewire)

Bis denn